Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Deciding.. finally

I was pondering over my post before this one and went 2 years down the memory lane. Day Tuesday, March 13, 2007. This was second day of the 2 days I had taken off from office due to low back pain and was at home. I am fond of reading and had just finished reading Monk Who Sold His Ferrari, one of my favourites. Being put to bed rest, nothing to do, recovering from back pain, I had very similar thoughts going on, how the life changed......

I had almost everything that one could desire for. Couple of good flats, a nice house in a posh locality with all facilities to live in, a very supportive and understanding wife, 2 lovely kids, a good job at senior level with good paycheck, a nice car and many other good things in life. But..., I didn't have the most important thing, TIME. Time for self, time for family, time for wife, time for kids and time for friends. I just lacked it. I found myself in the rat race, going in circles and reaching no where. Daily routine, get up around 8.00 am, kids are already off to school, get to office by 10 am, meetings after meetings, discussions after discussions, work, work and more work. By the time, I came back home, it would be past 9 pm everyday and sometimes past 11 pm. Kids would have gone to sleep, wife waiting at the dining table, to cook food for me as I can't eat chapatis that are in the casserole.

Where was I heading? What is that I wanted? Money, fame, name, position? Were these more important than my family and kids? could I see an end to all this?

And a decision was made. Money was important, job was important, but not at the cost of family. I could take that tough/difficult decision to quit the nice, cushy job and take a break for 4-5 months. I am happy that I took that decision. I spent next 4 months (April-August) with family, living and enjoying each moment and feeling rejuvenated. Looking for a job that would give me work-life balance.

Thank god, he gave me courage to take that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment